Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Lenten reflection


I'm going to change gears for a minute from my usual family updates to something a little closer to my heart.  I would like to share with you a bit about our Lent in the Maddox house, or maybe more about me :)  It's ok to have a few things about me..right?   


 This year, I've had the chance to start a new group at our Church with a friend of mine, Mandy Flurry.   We started studying a new book called "Style, Sex, and Substance" edited by Hallie Lord.  You should Check her blog out!  www.moxiewife.com


 Anyways, through this study, and my own prayers and reading the same theme continues to cross my path..... "He must increase, but I must decrease" John 3:30.   I know, I know - duh!  I mean that is what Lent is about isn't it?  This great opportunity to die to ourselves, deny some simple pleasure in such a way that we grow in holiness.   It's not enough to say, I'm going to give up sweets and then just do that.  We are called to truly grow in the ability to die to our daily immediate desires, not so that we can be miserable and never happy - but just the opposite, so that we can experience a truely amazing happiness, one that only God can show us!

 Why would I not want this joy and happiness, why would I not want that for my marriage and my family? This Lent God is giving me this great chance to dig deeper and allow Him to increase in my life - but only if I will allow myself to decrease!  
I hope you all have an amazing Lent!  And I want to know about your Lent, leave a comment and let us know how God is calling you this year!  

No comments: