Sunday, August 28, 2011

A little secret about me......

 I have a secret passion for office supplies - there I've said it, it's out in the open, and I think for the past four years it's been a little suppressed.  But not now!  Oh no, I'm like a kid in a candy store!
 This little issue I have goes back a really long, long way.  When I was a little kid, and other little girls were dreaming about being princesses or playing mommy I was turning my walk-in closet into an office.  Planning my life - at college I was going to attend Boston University then head over the Harvard for my Masters.  It seemed like a normal dream for an 8 year old to me.   
 My room became the resting place for all my father's old phones, and computer equipment, old office folders so on and so forth.  I loved the stuff....and as I mentioned still do.  I just haven't had a reason to need any of that stuff lately - but that has changed!
We're "home schooling" for pre-K.  Not that much really needs to be done, but I want to make sure that Stephen has the basics and is ready to go for Kindergarten.  I found a website that I liked and started doing some stuff..... I realized really quickly that he had a few things to work on and so did I!  So I researched and researched and found another little pre-K curriculum that goes over his letters. 

Long story short, I, in the process of doing a "little" pre-k at home was able to convince myself (and of course Alan) that we needed the following things:
1)A new printer (wait - it was so much cheaper to buy a new one then get ink cartridges for my old one!)
2)A Laminator.... I've always wanted a laminator and now I have one!  I love it, I love using it, and I feel like little 8yr old Jessica cleaning out her closet, and setting up her "office" all over again.  Except this time it will be Alan and not my mom who finds me asleep on my desk :)
3)And of course the need for file folders, binders, dry erase markers, paper ooohhh lots and lots of paper!!

I could go on and on, but lets just be honest - I have a problem with office supplies and I don't care anymore :)

2 comments:

Bruce, Brandi and Brinley said...

Hello...my name is Brandi, and I,too, am an office/school supply addict. It has been three days since my last shipment of office supplies from Amazon. :-D

Seriously though...this post reminds me so much of myself. Brinley and I are starting our lessons tomorrow, and this past week I bought my first laminator--as well as a billion other office supplies. Shhhh...Don't tell Bruce, but I think it might be turning into a serious relationship between me and the laminator. ;-)

What curriculum are you guys doing? I'm kind of doing a hodge-podge of different ones. We'll be doing a letter of the week program. I initially got the idea from (Catholic, mom of 9) Elizabeth Foss over at In the Heart of My Home who created the Alphabet Path, but a lot of the worksheets, craft ideas, etc are from Confessions of a Homeschooler, 1+1+1=1 and Homeschool Creations. Although none of those blogs are particularly Catholic, I'll add in some things related to the faith. For the 'A' week, we'll study Saint Anne, for the 'B' week, we'll study Saint Bernadette and so on. Anyway, I hope you guys have a great school year...I'm sure it will be a blast. We miss you guys!

~Blessings

Jmaddox said...

Hey Brandi! I love, love, love my laminator!!! :) Alan's worried he's going to wake up to his wallet laminated ;)

As for curriculums, we're mainly following confessions of a homeschooler - though she's not Catholic I liked her set up and the assability of her curriculum. I am supplementing with Catholic Icing stuff so we are getting the wonderful richness of our faith in there. I haven't purchased it yet, but I am getting a Catholic prayers lapbook to work on all our basic prayers. We're starting off slow and just trying to get a good base before school next year!

Miss you guys too, hope you are doing well!!!